Booklist of Diverse Nonfiction Literature for Young Readers
A growing list of YA books about mental health and so much more. (via Bibliotherapy for Teens: Helpful Tips and Recommended Fiction | School Library Journal)
Also see Yolanda Scott’s great post on childhood anxiety, which includes a list of picture books that deals with the subject.
Diverse middle grade recommendations? We have those too! Just follow the arrows to what you love for a perfect read!
Here’s another fantastic flowchart designed by WNDB team member Tracey López.
1. Kick by Walter Dean Myers and Ross Workman
2. The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
1.The Trouble with Half a Moon by Danette Vigilante
2.Rain is not my Indian Name by Cynthia Leitich Smith
3. Confetti Girl by Diana Lopez
Action or Horror?
1.Skeleton Man by Joseph Bruchac
2. The Monster in the Mudball by S. P. Gates
3. How I became a Ghost by Tim Tingle
4. Ash Mistry and the Savage Fortress by Sarwat Chadda
1.My Basmati Bat Mitzvah by Paula J. Freedman
2. Better Nate Than Ever by Tim Federle
3. The Great Green Heist by Varian Johnson
Adventure & Vicarious Travels?
1. Starry River of the Sky by Grace Lin
2. One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams Garcia
3. A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park
1. Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes
2. Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu
3. The Menagerie by Tui and Kari Sutherland
4. Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor
1.El Deafo by Cece Bell
2.Little White Duck by Andres Vera Martinez
3.Drama by Raina Telgemeier
4. The Popularity Papers by Amy Ignatow
5. Hereville: How Mirka got her Sword by Barry Deutsch
Dystopian & Sci-Fi?
1. Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities by Mike Jung
2. Galaxy Games by Greg Fishbone
3. Chronal Engine by Greg Leitich Smith
4. The Boy at the End of the World by Greg van Eekhout
5. Ambassador by William Alexander
Then check out these picks selected by the WNDB Team!
1. The Great Wall of Lucy Wu by Wendy Shang
2. Eighth-Grade Superzero by Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich
3. Hold Fast by Blue Balliett
4. The Problem with Being Slightly Heroic by Uma Krishnaswami