In addition to fostering new voices, we have a responsibility to seek out and promote the world of diverse content that is already in print. Below are resources for connecting with authors, illustrators, readers, reviewers, and other members of the children’s book community.
Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org as you discover additional resources!
Connecting with Writers
- Black Writer’s Conference
- The Asian American Writers’ Workshop
- Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators
- Book Country
- Comadres y Compadres Writers Conference
- National Latino Writers Conference
- Reading in Color: An interactive book blog featuring reviews of children’s and young adult books with characters of color.
- Cynsations: The blog of YA and children’s book author Cynthia Leitich Smith, featuring conversations, publishing and literacy news, writing resources, author outreach, and more.
- The Brown Bookshelf: Raising awareness of children’s, middle grade, and young adult books written by people of color.
- Zetta Elliot: A collection of essays and diversity-related materials curated by the black feminist author.
- Mitali Perkins: The young adult novelist addresses ways in which books can bridge the gap between cultures.
- I’m Here, I’m Queer, What the Hell Do I Read?: Writer Lee Wind’s forum for LGBTQ youth and their allies.
- Rich In Color: “Dedicated to reading, reviewing, talking about, and otherwise promoting young adult fiction starring people of color or written by people of color.”
- Latino Book Club: “The Latina Book Club’s goal is to promote Latino authors and literacy by reading at least one Latino book a month.“
- Code Switch: NPR: A blog examining the complex intersections of race, ethnicity, and culture.
- DiversifYA: A collection of interviews and stories showcasing diversity in all its forms.
CBC Diversity Marketing and Publicity Partners
- Rockelle Henderson, Independent Marketing Consultant
- Lilly Ghahremani, Founder of Lucky 13 Strategies
- Gilda Squire, President of Gilda Squire Media Relations
- Adriana Dominguez and Stefanie Von Borstel, Agents at Full Circle Literary Agency
- Carol Mackey, Editor-in-Chief of Black Expressions Book Club
- Troy Johnson and Ron Kavanagh, Founders of AALBC
- Cecil Castellucci, YA Editor at Los Angeles Review of Books
- Dawn Turner Trice, Metro Columnist at the Chicago Tribune